quarta-feira, 6 de outubro de 2010

Not x No

  • To make a word, expression or clause negative, we use 'not'.
Not surprisingly, we missed the train. (NOT ... 'no' surprisingly)



The students went on strike, but not the teachers. (NOT ... but no the teachers)

I can see you tomorrow, but not on Thursday.

I have not received his answer.


  • We can use 'no' with a noun or -ing form to mean 'not any', or 'not a/an'.
No teachers went on strike. (=There weren't any teachers on strike.)
I've got no Thursdays free this term. (=I haven't got any Thursdays free this term.)
I telephoned, but there was no answer. (=There wasn't an answer.)


  • Sometimes sentences constructed with verb + not and no + noun have similar meanings. The structure with 'no' is usually more emphatic.
There wasn't an answer. / There was no answer.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário